The landscape of internet is growing rapidly. Now computer, laptops, smartphones, and tablets are not the only things of interest. A multitude of devices is being introduced that is internet connected. All devices are now being smart.
The crazy future that science fiction stories promised us is quite near.
The Internet of things is the umbrella term for many internet connected object. Many online and offline mobile apps are making our work easier.
Following are some of the predictions about IoT that you will see come true in the upcoming years.
This article focuses on some of the predictions about IoT that will soon come true. Some main points explained in this article are
- Connected devices
- IoT for hackers
- Smart cities
- Secured routers
- Usage of smart products
- App-specific device ecosystems
- IoT for businesses
- Some awesome inventions:
- Decrease in air pollution by technology
- Intelligent parking system
The infographic below also gives some useful information in this regard
It is estimated that by 2020, the number of connected devices will increase at a much rapid rate.
IoT For Hackers
In October 2016, the very first IoT malware was introduced.
It is a strain of malware that as the ability to infect the connected devices.
This malware can easily access the devices using their default login(username and password)
Then it turns those devices into a botnet which is then used for DDoS(Distributed denial of service) attack.
This attack brought screeching halt for hours to many internet service website. Many big hosting companies were also flooded in this attack.
The code of this malware is available as open source for modification.
As a result of which after some time of this attack, a modified version of this code was introduced that infected the windows, computer, and many other connected devices.
Sadly, it is predicted that hacker will keep using IoT for DDoS in the future too.
Right now consumers are using IoT but in future IoT will not be limited to only consumers.
- Different companies and also cities will try to become efficient by adopting the sort technologies.
- This will prove to be much cost and time effective too.
- By using such technologies in cities, it would become easier for cities to manage and collect data remotely.
- It will also be easier to automate different processes.
- Many such devices remain inside our home and thus it is quite difficult to install any security software on them.
- As IoT craze is on the top these days, so the marketers are neglecting the security of the products a bit. Here home router can play a significant role.
- They are considered as the entry point of the internet in your home. Thus being the entry point, it can protect the entrance of the internet.
- But today routers do not have any security software installed on them. This means that the hackers can easily sneak malware through them.
- In future, it is predicted that many secure routers would be made available for people to protect the internet from the entry point too.
Some of the features that such router will have are:
- Data encryption
- Secure DNS
- Automatic security updates
Usage of Smart Products
The IoT has now expanded its reach into the home, business and the environment. More and more devices are now being connected to share the data and for real-time communication.
From the consumer's point of view following are some of the using smart products
- Increased energy efficiency
- Improved safety
- Improved security
- Higher quality product
App-Specific device Ecosystems
- A model is put forward to create a semi-closed device vendor ecosystem for applications.
- The benefit of such system is that with such services, it would be made possible for a multi-vendor ecosystem to certify for different brands by their IoT gateways.
- The real issue is that most of the comprehensive device management is provided by the IoT application vendors these days.
- Which means that all the components are bind together by a single vendor to work?
- For example, smart briefcase tag device with work only with the vendor's briefcase tracking application but it is impossible to make it work with any other vendor’s briefcase tracking application.
- Thus if your desire to switch to some other vendor, then you will have to buy a new tag to work with that vendor application.
- But with this solution consumer can buy devices from different vendors and can quickly make them work with an application.
- Thus IoT industry needs open device management standardization. Such efforts are already being made and will show their effect shortly.
- In this way, IoT consumer will surely achieve a new maturity level, and they will then not fear of losing their hardware investments.
IoT for Businesses
The business intelligence sector has been analyzing the IoT growth for some years.
It is predicted that almost $t6 trillion would be spent on IoT solutions in the coming five years.
Business will adopt IoT solutions at a bit faster rate than other sectors. The benefits they will get by following such strategies are:
- Increase in productivity
- lowering the costs of operations
The government will also take a keen interest in such solution to improve the quality of life of their people. They are believed to be the second largest adopter of such solutions.
Consumers will also invest their money in the IoT ecosystems.
Some Awesome Inventions
Multi-application gas sensors are being developed that will now detect biochemical threats and will also be able to recognize different diseases just by analyzing your breath.
Such sensors are driving new trends in technology.
Decrease in Air Pollution by Technology
Tired of the smog and air pollution these days?
Well, it is only a thing of the present. Shortly, the situation will be a bit different.
- There will be spotlight with embedded video sensors that will be able to adjust the green and the red lights according to the traffic and the time.
- This solution will reduce congestion and smog too.
Intelligent Parking System
The vehicles which we see idle at the red light on traffic burn up almost 17% fuel consumption.
- The parking system will also be a bit different from what it is right now.
- Sensors embedded parking systems will give real-time information about the empty spots through an app.
- And in this way, the drivers would be informed about those empty spots by the app.
Do you know almost 30% of the congestion is due to the drivers who keep carving the streets for hours in search an empty spot to park their vehicles?
To know more about the congestion and the selfish driving read here.
Thus technology will change the way we live completely. All the work will be machine based. Sensors would be controlling complex tasks and providing real time data for analysis.
The use of sensors for data analytics can be quite beneficial in decision making too.