With the number of mobile applications soaring high since its inception, there are all the chances that your app might just go unnoticed. Building a mobile app is not just about getting things done from your developers. Mobile apps, just like any other business process must be organized, strategized, and designed to solve the purpose of end-users.
Before you jump into the decision of creating a mobile app, it is imperative to gauge its results in advance. And to do that, it is best to consider few of these points before indulging into the process of mobile app development.
1) Choosing the right platform
The level headed discussion on choosing the best platform for your application can be entirely befuddling. However, when settling on the choice amongst Android and iOS, think of a holistic UI that you can deliver specific to your application.
This choice won’t just influence the developers; it altogether affects the scope and flexibility of an app. The required coding that goes into the making of a mobile app will moreover decide the utility and adaptability of your app’s offerings.
2) Conduct market research
Before doing any task, it is always advisable to do R&D. Building an App is no different, conducting in-depth market research helps you to obtain valuable insights into the current market scenario and competitors.
It helps you to understand about various strategies used and mistakes made by your rivals. You can learn from those errors and come up with a better plan. Ensure that you involve users’ review in your research. Ask your target audience what they want; evaluate the real demand and take all the necessary decisions to suffice them.
3) Understand your users
Building an App without knowing your target audience is like firing a shot in the dark. It is essential to know your customers’ need as your app’s success would purely depend on it. Your App won’t make its way to the user’s phone if it doesn’t solve their problem or add value.
Taking feedbacks from customers always helps; take feedbacks and opinions from customers and know what they are looking for. Align your objectives with your users’ demands, and there would be nothing that would stop your app.
4) Choose the right app development company
The idea of the App is solely yours, but its execution is dependent on the App Development Company you choose. The App Development Companies plays a significant role in making your App user-friendly, aesthetic and intuitive.
You must check and clarify all the important below point before choosing a development company:
- Check all the technologies used
- Read their Case Studies
- Contact Companies they have previously worked with
- Keep in mind the Time-Zone for effective communication
It is imperative that your developer has a sound knowledge of designing to provide the best user experience. Your developer must consider the usability. The developer must build the app in such a way that the user can perform its designated functions without any assistance.
5) Justify your reason for developing an app
It may appear like the least demanding inquiry to answer. However, as you are required to brief developers about your app, you at first place must articulate the specific purpose.
Source: Forrester Research, February 2013 “2013 Mobile Trends For eBusiness Professionals”
Defining dissimilarities between the website and app offerings is important. There must be a strategic clarity on how distinctively will you offer the services through an app than the website.
It is critical to have a keen vision for building a mobile app. Additionally, it must be in alignment with the business objectives and the way how the app will accomplish the same.
Read more: More customers for your on-demand services
6) Build a minimum viable app
It is essential to test your app before it is out in the market. MVP is a version of your app which only consists of the most crucial features.
MVP is a must as it answers so many significant questions as below:
- What problem does your app solve?
- What process your users will use to solve the problem?
- What’s that thing which makes your app a must have?
- Which is the most significant feature in your app?
- Which are the features you must have in your app?
- Which features should you prioritize?
MVP is a deep introspection of your app in a nutshell. It allows you to understand the essence of the app in a precise manner.
7) Determine the ways to earn from an app
Before building a mobile app, you must find out ways to monetize your application. There are few strategies like private advertisements inside your application to start earning on pay per click or pay per view basis.
You also need to determine whether you will be charging users for download or integrate in-app purchase strategy. You can always go for a freemium option on initial grounds.
Read more: How can free mobile app make money for you?
Free banner ad services are prebuilt effectively into each template that starts naturally once the application achieves 1000 installations. Now you may include your advertisement code into the application, and can roll on to earn through affiliate advertising.
8) Determining cost of developing an app
Plenty of factors contributes to determining the cost of developing a mobile app. These factors must be precisely analyzed before setting up the budgetary boundaries.
Apart from the crucial element of establishing the platform which we already discussed above, there are other sub-elements which require you to take certain strategically-aligned decisions.
- Decide if users are required to login. Here you need to make a crucial decision of integrating login with the social media platforms like
Facebook or Twitter.
- Precisely put down the norms if users are to create a personal profile within an app. In this case, users will enter information into an agreement of public viewing.
- If you plan to blend an app with your website, then it certainly requires making an API (Application Programming Interface). This is the way how all your friendly apps talk to each other.
- Determining on the design standards for mobile apps is as important as its utility.
Your apps can just be bare-bones or stock, or you can further scale it up and make it appear beautiful enough for your users to enhance their UX.
These factors can be broken down into various stages of mobile app development, and each one carries a cost. The graph below reflects the app development cost-breakup during each of these stages
Technically, the cost of app development is based out of hourly rates. These rates vary from company to company, and even geographical location plays a pivotal role in fixing the cost of developing a mobile app.
The industry standards for developing a mobile app at major markets are as follows;
- The US and Canadian-based companies charge from $50 to $250 per hour
- Australian app development agencies offer their services for $50-$150
- Western European and UK-based app developers are charging rates between $35 and $170
- Eastern Europeans (that’s where we are) are pretty happy with $20 – $150
- Indian rates of $10-$80 per hour are enough attractive
- These costs depend on the features, intricacy, and platform.
- One need to consider the back-end servers as well while determining the cost of developing mobile apps. Usually, back-end servers will end up costing more.
- The cost of developing a basic app from India can be around $8,000 – $12000.
- Also, it is advisable to keep a little budget aside for the updates, marketing, and maintenance.
A team of mobile app developers will typically include fees of
- UX/UI designer who is responsible for creating the visual content to be coded into the project.
- A Project Manager, who undertakes to liaise with clients and coordinate with app developers for actually reaching the predetermined milestones.
- A Business Developer who is responsible for communicating with the Project Manager to carry out functions on behalf of director by supervising the app development process.
9) Marketing an app
It is equally important to market an app to amongst your target users. Partly to set your foot right in the app store and slightly to sway audiences by letting them know that there’s something critical in store for them. Make sure you perform A/B testing for efficient conversions.
Marketers often fall trap to commonly used techniques like undertaking SEO activities for app market and social media marketing. Instead, it is wise to master the art of mobile marketing hack and get things right for your business.
Keeping these things at the back of your mind before developing a mobile app can make your app less fragile. Having said that, mobile app development is a strategic call rather than a technical call and therefore it must be nurtured intrinsically in the company’s values and objectives.